Friday, November 4, 2016

Mask Project

1.    Upload the three (3) inspiration images to your Blog (or link to your Photobucket account). Explain why you selected the inspiration piece.
The first mask I chose because I liked how dark and mysterious it looked. The bright colors and shapes really seemed unusual to have against such a dark background but somehow it still had a sense of harmony. I really liked the design of the teeth on this mask and wanted to use the same type of teeth on my mask.
The second reference I chose because I was so immediately drawn to the bright colors and fun patterns. The three faces, even though they were obviously skeleton skulls, still managed to be happy and excited, which is the opposite of what you would expect. I also really liked the emphasis on the eyes, specifically the last ring around the socket. This flowered ring is really beautiful on each face and inspired me to give my own mask a flowered eye ring.
I chose the last reference because, like the second reference, I was drawn to the colors and patterns. I also like how this mask had some context in the celebration, unlike the other two. This mask was surrounded by the alters and decorations that make up the Day of the Dead celebration which I liked because I am very interested in the custom and culture.


2.    Include the analysis and description (art criticism steps) of the three (3) inspiration pieces.

All three of the masks I found were Day of the Dead masks, or Dia de los Muertes. I originally went into this project believing I would research the African masks but I soon found out that the tradition of masks in south America is just as fascinating. In Mexico, on November 1st, they celebrate this national holiday by large gatherings of family and friends in order to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey. They focus not on grieving on their loss but remembering and celebrating their life. The celebration is very festive and happy. Masks, costumes, candy, feasts, music and dancing all make up this fascinating tradition.
            The first mask I found is a classic Day of the Dead mask. This mask black with colorful and vivid designs on the surface. In this mask the first element I noticed was value and color. The bright yellow, pink and blue really stand out from the dark black background creating a lot of values in the shades of color. The bright colors symbolize the happy celebration that is taking place and reminds the guests not to be sad about the loss of their loved ones. The next element I see is shape. There are many shapes that make up the design of this mask, including hearts, flowers, leaves and crosses. Lines also play a part in the design as they flow from the cross on the forehead and also circle the check bones. The lines and shapes in this mask captivate the viewer and moves the eye throughout the entirety of the work. A principle that is used is balance, the two halves of the mask are perfectly symmetrical in order to add equilibrium and harmony to the mask.


First Reference
            The second reference I chose was the set of three colorful masks. In this reference there was a red, yellow and blue mask sitting side by side. Each mask has their own elements and principles that guide the piece but a major element throughout each is color. Like the first mask, these three are each very vibrant in regards to color. In these masks there is no shades of black, however, each shape, line and pattern is made up oranges, pinks, reds and greens. The background of the masks are not dull or dark, they are extremely bright and even seem to be glowing. The colors symbolize the happiness that the celebration represents. Space is also used in these masks. Unlike the black mask which had designs nearly everywhere, these masks have a lot of empty space between the shapes. This space allows for the background colors to shine through more clearly and not be overtaken by extra designs, which in turn draws the viewers eyes to the many colors of the faces. Principles that are prominent in these masks are pattern and emphasis. This comes especially around the eyes of each mask, which are surrounded by many layers of patterned circles and dots. The many layers draw the viewers eye directly to the eyes of the mask creating a special emphasis on that particular part of the face.


Second Reference 
            The third reference I used was a picture of a Day of the Dead mask on a celebration alter on the actual holiday in Mexico. You can see clearly in this picture how important color is to the celebration. Everything is very colorful in this picture, including the mask itself, the flowers and decorations. In the mask itself shape and pattern are used very frequently. The diamond like shapes surrounding the eyes moving repetitively throughout the forehead and draw the viewers eye across the face. This pattern creates a sense of movement in this piece as well as the viewer’s eye is directed to explore specific parts of the face. Another important aspect of the mask is unity. In this piece the elements and principles of color, line, shape, pattern, balance, movement, and value all work together to give the viewer a complete sense of harmony and agreement.
Third Reference


3.    Upload images of your sketchs and finished piece.
My first sketches

In the process of drying
In the process of drying


Finished product

finished product left side view


finished product right side view
right side view


side view



4.    Explain how you used the Elements and Principles in your finished mask.
In my finished mask I used various principles and elements such as balance, color, contrast, value, line, pattern and unity. The first thing a viewer will notice about my mask is the colors. While the top of the mask is painted white, like a skull, the bottom half is a bright and vivid yellow. The bright colors and many values around the eyes and jaw serve to represent the fun festivities that make up the Day of the Dead celebration. The top half of the skull is done mostly in black and white which represents the death of the loved ones that the mask is honoring. Contrast is found in the top half of the mask with the white background and black spider web. The contrast of these two draws the viewer’s eye to the top area of emphasis. Next, I use balance. I tried to make my mask as symmetrical as I could, with the web coming out from the middle of the forehead and branching out to both the right and left side of the face. There is also symmetry in the right and left eye as well as the many decorative lines that make up the cheek bones. The lines and patterns in my mask also make it very visually interesting to look at. The lines come from the lines of the spider web and the lines coving the cheeks, the patterns are found in the eyes and jaw areas of the mask as well, these draw attention to various parts of the face. Each of these elements and principles combines in my mask to make one complete work with a sense of togetherness and unity.   

5.    Share your opinion of your finished mask and what you thought about creating the mask.


 I really like my finished mask. I thought the process of creating the mask was fun, once I got the hang of it. At first I was intimidated by the fact that the mask had to be 3D but then I came up with the idea to make the mask out of tinfoil and sculpt it to my face. The mask would obviously become 3D once I removed it from my face and mod podged it to harden permanently. Painting it was harder than I thought it would be because the tin foil was wrinkly and therefore hard to paint finer details like the outline of the teeth and eyes. Ultimately though, I really like and am proud of my finished product. I like how colorful it is and am especially proud of the jaw because the yellow background and blue dots really show off the vibrant colors that the celebration of Day of the Dead highlights. I am also really proud that my finished product is able to be worn. I punched holes in the side of the face and tied twine to them, all the wearer has to do is slip the twine over their head and they could definitely wear my mask. All in all, I am very proud of my finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment