Tuesday, November 1, 2016

mod 10 video review


1.    Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.
I chose the video on African art because I have been looking into the African masks for the mask project. I wanted to get a better understanding of the masks from a different source as well as from from videos and narrations instead of just reading it on the websites given in the project and the text book readings.
I chose the video on Buddhism art because I have always been interested in that religion and in India. I remember taking a world history class and being fascinated by the history and stories of Buddhism so I just wanted to expand on my knowledge of the topic and see how art affects and is in turn affected by the religion.


2.    For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
In the video about African art I learned that most art works are made out of straw or wood. Because of this, most of these works still in museums today are from more recent years because wood and straw do not preserve well in the humid African climate. I also learned that African masks influenced 20th century artists like Pablo Picasso. A key concept of this video was that the African people believed that supernatural forces governed their world and by making art they believed they were able to intervene in the course of life. Their art was supposed to conjure spirits, not represent real life people, therefore art emerged as a carrier of magic and rituals. Masks are also important to African art. When people put on masks they are not merely dressing up, they instead become whatever person or spirit they are wearing. This allows them to become one with or communicate with gods or spirits.  

In the second video on Buddhism I learned that their art and architecture centers around symbolism. In many of the temples and monuments shown there were numerous scenes or features that were meant to symbolize or represent a key feature of the religion. For example, in the Great Stupa at Sanchi there is a three-tiered umbrella at the top of the monument that symbolizes the three levels of heaven.  At the Borobudur Temple—the largest Buddhist shrine in the world—located in Indonesia, the temple is shaped like a lotus, or the sacred flower of Buddha. This temple also has three levels, once again symbolizing the three levels of heaven.

3.    How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The video about African art related to chapter 18, Arts of Islam and of African. Both the movie and the text talks about the African masquerade and how this event combines the art of costumes, masks, music, theater and dance all in order to communicate and become one with the gods.
The video on Buddhism relates most to chapter 19, Arts of Asia: India, China and Japan. The beginning of this chapter talks about art made in India and the many features of Buddhism art. Both the text and the book talk about stupas and the ceremonial and symbolic architecture that goes into creating temples for Buddha.


4.    What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
I thought both films were educational. Reading the book is sometimes hard to absorb or remember but I find that watching videos on the chapter topic allows me to learn the topic better. Watching a movie, in general, is more entertaining than reading, at least for me, so being able to watch these documentaries also allows me to pay attention a little bit more to the topics at hand.

The films add depth to my understanding of the art concepts by visually showing me different examples of art that is discussed in the book. I also thought it added depth to my understanding of the African masquerade because the film was able to show me the movements and sounds of the ceremony instead of just looking at still life pictures in the text.  

No comments:

Post a Comment