Saturday, December 3, 2016

Gallery Project

I really enjoyed putting together this curation project! My theme was about women's rights and feminism featuring exclusively female artists. I also made sure to include many women of color in my exhibit because I believe it is important, especially in todays world, to celebrate everyone's differences and nationalities.

Once I decided on a theme, I had a few problems finding art work that applied and art work that was made by women. Thankfully, I discovered that Feminist Art had its own movement in the late 70s so I read up on that movement and found some fantastic female artists. I also then discovered that the Tate Modern museum also emphasized female artists, that then provided me even more international female artists. After I found these two valuable sources I had no problem finding plenty of work for my gallery.

I then decided that inside my gallery I would organize my art work by its theme. For instance, I grouped worked of art together that dealt with female reproductive rights, social commentaries about the lack of representation of females in art and media and finally, pieces that looked at how society looks at women as primarily sexual objects.

My favorite part about this project was deciding how the inside architecture of my gallery would look, I added a half wall to break up the square room and display more art work. Then I added a sitting area so my viewers could sit and view or reflect on the works of my gallery.

Honestly, the most interesting part of this project was discovering talented and empowering women in the art world who are committed to making a difference with their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment