Friday, December 9, 2016

Self Portrait Blog

Create a reflection journal on your Blog and answer the following questions:


Self Portrait by Vincent Van Gogh, 1889. Oil on Canvas, 438.2cm x 571.5cm. 
Gallery: The National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.


Self Portrait (7) by Amrita Sher-Gil, 1930. Oil on Canvas, 72x92cm. 
Gallery: Nation Gallery of Modern Art 


Self Portrait, Yawning by Joseph Ducreux, 1783. Oil on Canvas, 89x114cm. 
Gallery: The J.Paul Getty Museum. 


1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?

I selected my first piece because it was a classic. The portrait of Van Gogh is instantly recognizable by any viewer. I also was attracted to the swirling lines and movement throughout the painting. 

I selected my second piece because I was instantly drawn in by her smile. The artist chose to paint herself as smiling and happy, which is something that I both enjoyed and admired. 

I selected my last piece because it made me laugh a little, to be honest. The art work itself is very good and the detail in the man's clothing and buttons is incredible, but the fact that the artist chose to immortalize himself in a self portrait by yawning and looking tired is very amusing to me. I have to wonder why he was so tired all the time that he chose to paint himself this way, as a college student, however, I absolutely understand. 

2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?

I chose to draw my self portrait. I used charcoal pencils on paper and then afterwards went in and shaded in my face with colored pencils. I wanted to use charcoal because I thought it would be good for sketching and shading in my hair and glasses. It was a little smudged at the end but I still think charcoal was the best media for my self portrait. 

3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?

A challenge I came across was that my charcoal pencils were smudging on my paper, I overcame this by shading in the smudged parts with color so that it wasn't as easily seen by a viewer. 

4. How does this piece represent you?

This piece represents me because I am smiling in it. I try to always smile and be positive and I feel like this self portrait captures this in me. 

5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?

I applied mostly lines and a little bit of color. I know I am not a fantastic artist so I wanted to keep it simple, so an outline with a little color was all I wanted to use. 

6. Did you enjoy working on this project?

I did enjoy working on this project. I couldn't make it to an actual gallery this week but I liked working with the Google Art Project. I had no previous idea that this existed so I am glad to know of a space online where I can go and check out art work from home. 

7. What do you think of your final artwork?

I thought my final artwork turned out better than I expected. I am pretty happy with it and think it looks pretty close to my actual face. 







No comments:

Post a Comment