Saturday, October 8, 2016

Video Review

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

Video #1, Through The Eyes of a Sculptor
I had no idea that sculpting required so many steps. I thought that sculptors just took to stone with their tools and began carving. I thought it was interesting to see how the process works, and how many sculptures are made of clay first, then taken various molds of, then carved in a work shop and then transported to its final location. I also thought it was interesting to see how sculptors work in restoration. I did no idea that they made mold of the old carvings then create an identical one out of square blocks, I thought that they just touched up the original work. It was very interesting to see the processes on both parts.  

Video #2, Glass and Ceramics
I thought it was interesting to learn that glass is made from liquid that then stiffens when it is cold. I also thought it was interesting to learn how they create the final products. I liked seeing how the artist takes a chuck of the molding out and blows into a rod until the mold inflates like a bubble. Then in order to shape it, the artist continuously turns the rod. I’ve seen many videos of this process on the internet before but it was interesting to learn the technicalities and nuances behind it. I also learned that the glass cools as it is being modeled, and therefore needs to be reheated over and over again to create new shapes.


2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The videos relate to the text because we get to visually see how the process are done instead of just reading about them and looking at pictures. I am a very visual learner and reading doesn’t always get the point across to me very well, so the videos about the processes sculptures and other artists go through to create their final work are always very interesting and help drive the points of the reading home.



3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?
I thought the films were very interesting. They added to my understanding of the book by visually showing me the steps it takes to create a work of art. I also liked how the video on sculpting included a scene where the artist installed his statues in a second location, I thought it was very cool to see how that was done with big machinery, the book didn’t go into detail on this step as much as the videos did. After viewing both videos I thought that sculpting looked fun and that I would like to try my hand at it, starting small and with clay of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment